Sunday, August 21, 2011

Drumming Journey: Part 1


The drumming journey has been by far the hardest part of this course for me. It's not due to anything outside of myself. I have had a block in my mind and in my chest that I haven't been able to fully carve out.  Part of the reason is because of the fear I wrote about at the start of this blog. I was afraid that the totem animal would somehow not be the one that I needed. That we wouldn't be a good fit.

I really wanted otter. I don't know why except that I love the animal dearly. I love their playfulness. I love the way they glide through the water. I especially love their stubby wittle wegs! The cute! It burns!

But no. Otter is not my totem animal.

Starting the process of meditation was not easy. Nothing wanted to work! The music file would not load or play correctly until the 15th try. I couldn't get comfortable on the bed. My brain wouldn't shuuuuttttupp! Complete Princess and the Pea moment, right? Right. (Although I am certainly no princess, and even if there was a pea to cause me discomfort I would have showed it who's boss by EATING THE SUCKER. Mwahaha! ...But I digress!)



After multiple tries things finally fell into place. I started to relax and follow into my spirit self into my underworld.

Normally my process of meditation is to set myself in the woods behind Nana's house. In middle school my best friend and I had attempted to built a secret meeting place only for it to be plowed up by the town. Sad, but the place was still sacred to me.

I kept getting a tug telling me that this wasn't the place I needed to go. "Go through the crackled, blue door and get to where you need to be!" Instructed the voice. I sighed, but did as told.

Crossing the threshold of my favorite door I found myself in the middle of a vast dessert unlike anything I'd ever seen. The mountains were beautiful and majestic and serene. And also very, very far off in the distance. I was looking around me for some sign of life. I imagined a small town off in the distance. And then a tumbleweed would try and blow by. But the tugging persisted and told me to "Stand still and wait." More sighing, more obeying.

Soon enough the wind blew up the dust and through it pranced a beautiful, large white fox. He had a sort of smirk on his face and a sparkle in his eye. I asked if he was my spirit guide, he nodded and agreed that I was. He never stopped looking directly at me and dancing around while I stood there and watched. I'm not particularly impatient, but I was getting tired of trying to hard to understand all that was going on that I eventually stomped my foot and asked him if there was a message for me. He nodded again, still grinning and prancing around. I got fed up and asked him what it was. There was some yipping on his part, which I couldn't translate.

After some time I heard a rattle behind me. Turning to see what it was, the wind again picked up the dust and a white snake shook her head and revealed herself to me. "He says to blend. Blend! Blend innn!" She hissed, not threateningly, but kindly so that the words would sink in.

I remember looking shocked and then relieved. Snake and White Fox read my mind and suddenly there was a bonfire between myself and Fox. He transformed into a handsome American Indian and started dancing around the flames smiling happily. He asked me to join him, Snake gave a psychic nudge (so she was the one nudging me around!), and I joined in the dance. Making up the moves as I went alone and soon falling into rhythm with Fox. Snake shook her rattle to the beat.

I felt, and saw, myself transforming. No longer my waking self, but becoming more my intended self. I had wild, bushy white blond hair that almost looked like fur. My skin was a different shade of pale, and my eyes became dark brown-black. My clothes turned into an off-white prairie dress and I was barefoot.

I rolled over and woke up as soon as the drum beat sounded it's final note.

2 comments:

  1. I am so with you on this journey sister! I had trouble getting the drumming to load too- I think I made it by the 7th try but I lost count!

    Then my brain (and sore ankle) wouldn't stop interrupting me and my trying really trying to relax, trying to get into the groove of letting go and seeing my totem animal! ....but then all of a sudden (after forcing my mind to calm through my breathing and going to my favorite woods of Vermont) I was whooshed away to a dessert (!!) it was very unexpected and there I saw bones, white washed bones in the white hot sparkling sand....then, I looked at my feet and saw I was wearing moccasins - so wild :) - then I saw my usual animal friends (hawk, horse, snake, elephant - yes in the dessert) I was walking in the dessert with them all - when the next thing I knew I was whooshed away again to find myself flying in the woods with something to my left and I looked and blinked and saw a bat. I couldn't believe it - then I saw it again and again - so there you have it - a bat, I wasn't pleased at first....but then I remembered how I do admire bats (I worry so for them, like the bees that they might be dying off in great numbers) and so in the end I accept with great love that I have a bat as my totem for this journey! :)

    Thanks for letting me share with you - sorry if it was too long - I just had so many pieces to this drumming meditation.

    I love that you became the fox - that you saw yourself as fox - if I remember correctly fox becomes white in winter - was there snow around your as you danced? I wonder if there is significance to fox's color....

    Thanks for being a sister on this journey! :)
    many blessings,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Beth I loved your story of journeying! I'm glad I'm not the only one who suffered from technical difficulties! :)

    Isn't it funny what finds us on our journeys? I wasn't near any snow, (I was in the dessert, too!), but the fox blended in perfectly with the scenery. Everything from the sand, the dust, to the mountains in the distance was all varying shades of white. So the fox and the snake blended right in!

    Aww! Bats are such great creatures and a beautiful totem animal! I'm sure they feel your concern and perhaps are drawn to your compassion? Either way, how cool is that! :D

    I'm going to write about the other experience I had so stay tuned!

    xoxo!

    ReplyDelete