Wednesday, December 5, 2012

What's In A Name?

Okay, so I've finally gone and done it: I've changed my name.

Not in real life! Just on this blog.

I figured it was time. I was tired of explaining to people why I didn't use my real name. Frankly, when people don't understand they can be real nosy assholes. I already have to put up with too many of them in my life right now, so the fewer the better.

How about a proper introduction? *ahem*

My name is Jenna. Nice to meet you!

I used to hate my name. No one could pronounce it correctly. Classmates would roll their eyes whenever there was a substitute teacher, and they had to explain how to say my name. (It was sweet that my classmates stuck up for me though. I was too quiet and shy to correct teachers on my own.) I wanted it to be something else, something more recognizable and simple like 'Jennifer'. I tried signing my name that way when I was little and it didn't feel right, so I kept Jenna.

I tried many other names over the years. I used "Zoe" as part of my AIM name back in the day, and one girl from college started calling me that in real life! It was hilarious, mostly because other people got to thinking that was my real name too. (It does fit, oddly enough.)

I started blogging for Fantastic Spatula and Uncommon Spirit under the moniker "Lucy Dylan Wiggins" partially for fun and partially because I didn't want the company I work for finding out I had a blog. Then people started reading it anyway, and I felt uncomfortable going by two names. Plus, even in the end it didn't feel right. Like I was wearing someone else's sweater. (Not comfy. Probably smells like old people, too.)

So Jenna it is, and Jenna I'll be. :)

Hope you don't mind if I stick around a while.


xoxo,

Jenna.

No comments:

Post a Comment