Friday, February 3, 2012

Spirituality and Finding the "Just Right"


whats simple is true
One thing that I've been coming across a lot in my life recently is the strict notion that an individual can only follow one spiritual path. It's like saying that the only way to get from point A on the map to point B is by taking only one route and one route only. Wouldn't that be terrible? To be squeezed into one, narrow lane of traffic heading in the same direction? Would you get to see anything other than straight ahead? Could you not pull over, have a picnic, get to know the people in the car next to you? I think one way thru life is a terrible waste of time, energy, and creativity. On our part and on the part of any sort of "Maker". 

One way streets are terribly unimaginative. 

I don't think that there are any gods, spirits, beings on the other side having wars and arguments over who exists and who doesn't. I think all the fighting is on our side of the ethereal curtain. And I think it's a shame. No one living person knows enough to say that "THIS is the one path to enlightenment! THIS is the only way to live!" We simply don't. 

"I don't think there is any truth. Only points of view." -- Allen Ginsberg

My problem is not finding something to believe in, but finding something not to believe in. Even now I'm not sure that's much of a problem to be had. I've been a bit like Goldie Locks in my spiritual pursuit. Some practices feel too tight (Southern Baptist), somethings feel too big (Buddhism). Other things feel almost just right, but not enough for me to settle into them like a second skin. 

I've gotten some grief from people who don't quite understand, and that's fine. I don't see how they can't not their comfy theology. To each their own. I believe that it's personally fine to pursue whatever believe one wants, I don't think it's very noble to shove it down somebody elses throat.

"My religion is simple. My religion is kindness."-- His Holiness the Dalai Lama

In my case it comes down to being a lover of stories. All kinds: Myths, legends, miracles, fairy tales- all beautiful stories filled with imaginative divinity! I believe in all of them- I believe in Jesus. And Buddha. And Isis, Athena, Baba Yaga, and Huckleberry Finn. 

I'm certain I'll catch a lot of flack for writing this, and that's perfectly fine. It boils down to this: believe what you know to be true. I will do the same. I will believe in the stories themselves as my own truths: You can't tell me they don't exist.



No comments:

Post a Comment