Friday, October 7, 2011

Playing with Lavender

One of our projects for SouLodge including working with the plant folk. We were to choose a plant that we felt connected to and extract the essence of it by sealing it in a glass jar of purified water and letting it set in the sun for a day.

After some initial figuring I chose to work with lavender again. I had thought about using the marigolds out front, and later found out that they are actually my birth flower. Next time!

I cleaned out a mason jar, which I believe previously held sugar, mmm, sugar. Filled it with water and lavender buds, sealed it, and put it outside.

Since I rent an apartment working out doors can get pretty tricky. My land lords live next door, and I don't think they'd take too fondly to my rummaging around their yard uninvited. I did end up going into the backyard which we share, and having my Jar of Calm nest up in the tree house my land lord had constructed for his kids. (Who are now grown and have moved out.)

The weather was the one bit of this project that did not want to cooperate. I was later doing this assignment than I wanted to be. Then came Irene and well- that just made the whole thing a wash. (Forgive the punnery!)

As usual, it all worked out. I left my jar outside for a full sunny day, and brought it back in. I then let it sit for a while (okay, a few weeks!) before finally using it.

At last I decided to use it in a foot bath, and my feet were very grateful! The smell wasn't too potent, but the color of the water was a beautiful amber. I slept deeply that night and felt much better in the morning.

Overall I really loved this part- I've enjoyed working with lavender and I can't wait to pluck a few marigolds for the next round. :)

xoxo,

Jenna.

No comments:

Post a Comment